On September 22, 2012, Bill Rempel was awarded the coveted CGA Community Service Award at the BC Certified General Accountants Summit and Awards Banquet held in Kelowna, BC.
The CGA Community Service Award honours members and students who have provided outstanding
service to their community. Nominations must provide evidence in two key areas, Dedication and Leadership. To be considered for the CGA Community Service award the member or student must provide significant evidence that they contributed at the community level, enhancing the professional image and profile of CGA-BC.
Mr. Rempel received his CGA designation in 1988. Throughout his career he has served both his employers and the community to the highest degree. Upon receiving his CGA designation he was employed as Controller for Cal Investments. In 1992 he became the on-site General Manager at Metrotown Centre and was later promoted to Regional Director. In 2010 he joined Blackwood Partners Management Corporation where he currently employed as Vice President and General Manager of Central City which is a 1.5 million square foot mixed use development in Surrey, BC, comprising of a 640,000 square foot shopping centre, a 550,0000 square foot AAA office tower and a 350,000 square foot SFU Surrey Campus.
Chair of the Board of Governors Cindy Choi and Bill Rempel
The award was presented to Mr. Rempel based on his commendable volunteer work in the communities which he served spanning from 1992 to 2012 where he held the following positions:
- Director, Treasurer, VP and President of the Burnaby Chamber of Commerce
- Founding member and Vice Chair of the Burnaby RCMP District 4 Community Policing Consultative Group
- Director and Treasurer of the BC Shopping Centre Association
- Director, Treasurer, VP, President and Past President of the Downtown Vancouver Business Improvement Association
- Director of the Building Owners and Managers Association of BC
- Founding Director of the Vancouver Fair Tax Coalition
- Director and Current president of the Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association
Mr. Rempel is passionate about his community and always fights hard to ensure the voice of business is heard and has advocated for business taxpayer rights along with improvements to the communities he works in.