This Halloween, The Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association will once again be handing out FREE Craft Bags at Central City Shopping Centre!
Find us on the Main Floor near The Brick from 11am – 3pm on October 31st.
The craft bags will include:
3 Halloween themed crafts or coloring sheets
Reusable AND customizable craft bag
Swing by to get some free crafts and to give your children the chance to show off their costumes! We’re so excited to see everyone dressed up and get in the Halloween spirit, so be sure to come and join in on the fun! ONE CRAFT BAG PER CHILD PLEASE
As more restrictions are lifted, locals and tourists are coming back to the Downtown core just in time to cool down for the summer. To celebrate, the Downtown Surrey Business Improvement Association (DSBIA) is planning a welcome event to greet locals back in Surrey’s Downtown core, and to encourage them to visit businesses in the area.
Following the success of the Santa Window Walk last winter, the summer event will again have an artist paint art adhering to a welcome theme on the windows of all participating businesses, animating and breathing life back into the area. Alongside the paintings, we will be holding three different giveaways on Instagram, which will be open by the end of July for three weeks, from July 23 to August 13. Please note that participants must be following the DSBIA account on Instagram @dtsurrey, and that this giveaway is not affiliated with Instagram.
Here are the following giveaways and rules:
1. Heart Scavenger Hunt: A scavenger hunt giveaway where customers have to look for the common icon (a heart) hidden in all of the paintings, counting the total number. Whoever gives us the right number through our direct messages will win a gift card. (1 winner per week)
2. Support Local: The first 20 people each week to directly message (via instagram or Twitter) their receipt from a business with their welcome message in their window will win a gift card. (20
winners a week).
3. Take a selfie!: Participants are encouraged to take a picture while being in front of the store’s painting and post it on their Instagram. They must tag us and use the hashtags #SummersIn-Surrey and #DTSurreyWelcome. Winners will be randomly selected through a randomized generator, winning a gift card. (5 winners a week).
Winners will be announced on:
Week One: July 30
Week Two: August 6
Week Three: August 13
Be sure to look around the Downtown core area for the wonderful paintings at the end of July, and also follow our social media on Instagram, Facebook and Twitter for more details regarding the giveaway (which will be released soon). The Downtown core and a scavenger hunt awaits you!
The Downtown Surrey BIA has four openings for summer employment. As these jobs are funded by Canada Summer Jobs, to be eligible, youth must:
be between 15 and 30 years of age at the start of the employment*;
be a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person to whom refugee protection has been conferred under the Immigration and Refugee Protection Act for the duration of the employment**; and,
have a valid Social Insurance Number at the start of employment and be legally entitled to work in Canada in accordance with relevant provincial or territorial legislation and regulations.*The youth must be 15 years of age at the beginning of the employment period. The youth may be more than 30 years of age at the end of the employment period as long as the youth was 30 at the beginning of the employment period.
NOTE: **International students are not eligible participants. International students include anyone who is temporarily in Canada for studies and who is not a Canadian citizen, permanent resident, or person who has been granted refugee status in Canada. Youth awaiting a refugee status ruling, as well as those who hold a temporary visitor visa, youth visa or work visa are ineligible.
The positions we currently have available will begin June 28 until August 22 (8 weeks). Generally, hours of work are Monday through Friday from 9:30am-5pm although if there is a Saturday event, we will work Tuesday – Saturday instead. There may be some days during the week hours will be adjusted depending on events (start earlier/leave earlier or start late/leave late.
We work onsite and remotely. The four positions listed below will be working with post-secondary students as team leaders. High school students are encouraged to apply.
Position One – Sustainability Assistant: This is a research – education position and will work closely with the Business Liaison Intern and the Area Enhancement Intern.
Position Two – Performance and Social Media Assistant: This position works with our Special Events Intern and will spend 60% of their time rehearsing and performing as part of our mandate to enliven public spaces. The other 40% of the time will be spent working with the Click on Surrey Team on Social Media.
Position Three – Performance and Placemaking Assistant: This position works with our Special Events Intern and will spend 60% of their time rehearsing and performing as part of our mandate to enliven public spaces. The other 40% of the time will be spent working on Placemaking activities.
Position Four – Performance and Business Liaison Assistant: This position works with our Special Events Intern and will spend 60% of their time rehearsing and performing as part of our mandate to enliven public spaces. The other 40% of the time will be spent working with the Business Liaison Intern on a variety of projects including the Restaurant Guide, Sustainability Education, and Business Updates.
Please apply by June 2, 2021 by 5pm by sending your resume to email@example.com. Please state in the subject line of your email if you are applying for the Sustainability Assistant or Performance Assistant.
Help us Raise The Roof for the homeless and drop off donations of scarves, socks, or gloves for the annual Toque Tuesday Hockey event! There will also be Raise The Roof swag available for purchase, ranging from $15-$20 each. Firefighters will also be on site selling hotdogs this year! Every little bit helps as this event aids in keeping those in need stay warm this winter.
Come join us on Tuesday February 5th, 2019 for Toque Tuesday. The event will be held at Surrey’s City Hall Civic Plaza at 9:00am
If you have a team that would like to participate in this event, please contact Tyler Lee, the Supervisor of the Pacific Community Resources Society. Tyler can be reached at his email: firstname.lastname@example.org
There is no charge to participate, but teams are requested to purchase a Toque Tuesday toque or other Raise The Roof swag.
Don’t have a team? No worries! Please feel free to stop by and support those in need in our neighbourhood by cheering on your favourite team, dropping off donations, and purchasing Raise The Roof swag. Toque Tuesday is a great event for helping provide warmth for the homeless during the winter.
“Hear the Stories, Feel the Passion, Celebrate the Game!”
Pull out your favourite team’s jersey and get ready to celebrate one of Canada’s most loved sports, because on December 9th and 10th, Hometown Hockey is coming to Surrey!
For the ultimate NHL fan experience, join us at Surrey Civic Plaza (behind City Hall) for some true Canadian fun on Saturday from 12pm-6pm and Sunday 12pm-10pm.
Hometown Hockey is a family-friendly festival providing a weekend of free outdoor hockey activities for all ages. It is a chance for the community to gather together and show their passion for the game, as well as a chance to hear stories about local upcoming talent and some of the game’s most famous stars. Hometown Hockey is the ultimate experience for any NHL fan: enjoy live music, games, and even get the chance to meet some NHL alumni!
On December 10th there will be a broadcasting of the Edmonton Oilers vs Toronto Maple Leafs game at 3:30 pm. Don’t miss Ron MacLean and Tara Slone, who will be hosting live on site from the Sportsnet Mobile Studio.
The Downtown Surrey BIA will be on site with some hockey-themed crafts to get you into the spirit, as well as face painters so you can show support for your favourite team.
Come celebrate the game that has become synonymous with Canadian culture with Rogers Hometown Hockey. Learn more about Hometown Hockey and keep an eye out for new event activities here: http://www.hometownhockey.com/
Join us on December 3rd for a holiday celebration like no other, as the annual Big Rigs for Kids Lighted Truck Parade rolls back through Downtown Surrey.
For the last seven years, the Lighted Truck Parade has been a holiday tradition for many local families. Children and adults alike love to see the elaborate light displays that the truck drivers decorate their vehicles with, depicting different Christmas scenes from Frosty the Snowman to a giant Rudolph semi-truck. Stopping in front of City Centre Library, there’s lots of chances to get your photo taken with one of the festive trucks.
There will be events and entertainment throughout the evening, beginning with the one and only Chris Hamilton at 4:30 pm. Warm up your voices and get ready to sing some of your favourite Christmas classics with the 2nd annual Christmas Carol sing-a-long from 5-6 pm.
In the spirit of the holidays, the Surrey Food Bank and the Surrey Christmas Bureau will be on site collecting donations from all the generous people in the Downtown Surrey community. The Surrey Central Lions will also be on site selling some delicious snacks such as hot dogs and hot chocolate.
Celebrate the holiday season with family and friends right in the heart of Downtown Surrey by watching a parade of lighted trucks and singing along to your favourite Christmas classics. For more information and updates about the event, make sure you follow us on twitter @dtsurreybia
Little girls can do big things, and big things can help local charities like the Surrey Christmas Bureau! On November 18th Ryley and Chloe (and their latest team member Aubrey) will be hosting their 4th annual FunRaizer Spaghetti dinner to raise toys and cash for the Surrey Christmas Bureau.
The dinner will take place at Knight and Day Restaurant on King George Boulevard in Surrey from 5-7 pm. Tickets will be sold for $12 which includes a buffet style pasta dinner (vegetarian options available). We ask that all guests please bring a toy or cash donation to be given to the Surrey Christmas Bureau in addition to their ticket.
Ryley and Chloe first decided to hold a FunRaizer in 2014. Every year since she was 2 years old, Ryley and her Auntie Bonnie would buy a toy and take it to the Christmas Bureau for Ryley to put on the shelf. Ryley said she wanted to find a way to take more toys to the Christmas Bureau, and Bonnie gave her the idea to hold a fundraiser dinner. However, not any old fundraiser would do for Ryley and Chloe. The girls wanted to call it a “FunRaizer” instead of a “Fundraiser” because “toy’s are fun, and all kids should have fun at Christmas!”. The first annual Spaghetti dinner was a success, and as it has progressed over the years the girls have gotten more and more involved, holding meetings in the summer to plan the upcoming dinner. Every year after Christmas they hold a follow up meeting to decide what they would like to do next year, and they always say they want to raise more toys for the Christmas bureau. Ryley and Chloe like being able to bring the toys to the Christmas bureau themselves, lining the shelves with all the gifts they have worked hard to collect.
In the past three years, Ryley and Chloe have raised over $4000 and 10 boxes of toys. Aubrey, who was an intern elf in 2016, is excited to help with this year’s annual Spaghetti Funraizer dinner. Please join us for some delicious food and exciting door prizes. Your generosity is sure to put a smile on many children’s faces.
If you’d like to purchase a ticket, please contact Bonnie or Tracey at the Downtown Surrey BIA office 604.580.2321.
It’s the time of the year that signifies the true start of the holiday season – the annual Tree Lighting Festival! On Saturday November 25th Surrey Civic Plaza will turn into a winter wonderland from 12-7 pm with fun, free, and family-friendly activities to keep you busy all day.
With four stages and over 20 performers, choirs and children’s entertainers, there will be a variety of entertainment all day long. Don’t miss the performance at 5:30 pm by the festival’s headliner, award-winning Canadian singer-songwriter Ruth B. Ruth sings the popular track “Lost Boy” which has received over 240,700,000 streams on Spotify and won her a 2017 Juno Award for “Breakthrough Artist of the Year”.
This year features an expanded holiday market with a variety of local vendors and crafters. From homemade sweets to unique locally-made gifts, it’s a great place to kick-start your holiday shopping and support small businesses at the same time. Attendees can also experience the new Holiday Fun zone presented by Z95.3. Featuring a free zip line, amusement rides, road hockey and a DJ, don’t miss this exciting new exhibit along University Drive.
Stop by the Downtown Surrey BIA’s Kid Zone inside City Hall for fun arts and crafts, face painters and a balloon animal artist. Make your very own holiday gift bag, Christmas tree ornament, or even a cute penguin door hanger. The one and only Santa Claus will be making appearances every hour from 1-5 pm, so prepare your wish list and get ready for a photo with everyone’s favourite Jolly man.
To keep up the holiday spirit, consider giving to the Surrey Food Bank, Surrey Christmas Bureau, Sophie’s Place and the Surrey Fire Fighters’ Charitable Society who will all be on site collecting donations.
Finally, at 6:30 pm comes the moment we’ve all been waiting for, the lighting of Surrey’s 55 foot Christmas Tree – one of the tallest Trees in Canada!
Bring your friends, family, and come get into the holiday spirit at the annual Surrey Tree Lighting Festival. For more information and performance schedules visit www.surrey.ca/treelighting