Use eco-paper for the office. Look for these characteristics when choosing your paper:
- Certified as FSC (Forest Stewardship Council)
- High percentage post-consumer content
- Not processed with chlorine or bleach
Staples sells various FSC-certified paper including their own Staples brand of FSC paper, and Step Forward brand FSC paper (made from 80% Wheat Straw). Cascades can supply FSC, environmentally-friendly paper as well.
Check out this paper calculator to see how your paper performs environmentally.
Packaging contributes a ton of garbage that ends up in the landfill and is often a waste of materials, or can be replaced by alternatives!
- Strive to purchase packaging that is
- Re-useable – this means packaging that will not be thrown out such as giving customers re-useable bags instead of plastic bags, or packaging goods in a painted tin container that can be used as a place to put jewelry after they have used the product in the container, etc.
Food Service Providers
Let’s talk about Styrofoam… landfills and recycling plants do not want them! They are neither recycled nor compostable. They end up in landfills taking up space. Steer away from foil lined products and soft plastics as well.
Instead, purchase take-out containers that are biodegradable or recycled! Ask your supplier if there is an environmentally friendly line of take-out containers you can order and ditch the Styrofoam clamshells.