- Identifies opportunities for partnership in DSBIA events in Downtown Surrey
- Identifies opportunities for the DSBIA to participate in City, community or stakeholder events
- Showcases and profiles the Members and Downtown Surrey with DSBIA event related activities
- Engages, coordinates, communicates and profiles all self-supported and partner related events in Downtown Surrey to profile the area
Chair: Cheryl Christensen
- In the absence of entertainment venues, the BIA has used special events in various locations in an effort to create a sense of place in downtown:
- The Movies Under the Stars program started in 2005 to demonstrate that families could enjoy a social evening outside during the summer. This grew to three movie nights in 2008 and four in 2009, 2010 and five planned for 2011. This event is supported by the RCMP, Surrey Crime Prevention Society, Volunteer Bike Patrol and our own patrollers.
- The BIA has been the major sponsor of the Surrey Fest Downtown since 2004. This is the largest and most successful community festival in Surrey with annual attendance of 5,000+ and is held at Central City Plaza.
- The BIA has participated in a number of City-sponsored events as First Night (2 years); Winterfest (2008,2009,2011); Fusion Fest (2008, 2009, 2010, 2011), Canada Day (2006, 2007, 2008, 2010, 2011); Party for the Planet (2011), Stanley Cup Comes to Surrey (2010), Stanley Cup Play-offs Fan Site (2011) and the Lantern Procession (2006, 2008).
- In 2010 and 2011, the BIA partnered with TienSher/Quattro Development to hold a Block Party called Q Fest held in the North/East area of the DSBIA area.
- In 2010, 2011, the DSBIA participated in the Gay Pride Festival at Holland Park.
- In 2010, the DSBIA was involved in the “Santa arrives at Central City” event, Christmas Movie Day at Digital Lightyear Theatre at SFU and the Lighted Truck Parade at Holland Park.
- The BIA has also participated in the RCMP Block Party (2005, 2006, 2007 and 2008). In 2011, the BIA coordinated a 60th Anniversary BBQ to celebrate the RCMP’s 60th Anniversary in Surrey.
- In 2006, the BIA supported the Canadian Little League Championships hosted by Whalley Little League with marketing supports, commemorative banner competition and banner costs.
- In 2006, the BIA partnered with Canadian Tire and A & W to hold a Show & Shine.